Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Growing

Lake Week is coming up soon. We leave Friday at noon with GG to go to Lorain, OH. Stephen will follow a few hours later once he is done with his Cinematic Art class final.

This year we can stay the entire week. We have a cabin and will be sharing it with Johnny Bancroft. I am excited about the sand and sun, as well as taking little Johnny for his first dip in the lake. We will be bringing his sun tent, and he will be spending a good bit of time in it. I think today I'll begin packing some of the things that won't be needed tomorrow or Friday morning so that we are closer to being ready. Clothes, Johnny's toys, packs of diapers and wipes, etc. I have to find the kid something to wear for my mom's wedding. I'm sure there is something in the closet that has been handed down that is appropriate. It might not actually fit him yet, but we'll let him swim in it and look cute anyway.

Two days ago Johnny had his 4-month checkup with Dr. Prince and was weighed at 13lbs 14oz, less than 1lb up from a month ago. He measured 26 1/2 inches, which is up by 2in, and registers in the 25th percentile for weight, 95th for height. We have one tall skinny baby on our hands! Can you imagine growing at least 2in every month? Steve says he remembers one summer growing 4in in 3 months. Crazy!

Johnny has a meeting with a therapist from Strawberry Fields this afternoon. It should be interesting, and I'm going to learn about some games I can play with the little guy that will specifically target growth in the areas he is a bit behind on. All of the older generations from my own keep saying that they don't understand how anyone could tell if something was off with him and that he looks perfectly good to them. Personally, I believe that the things people are aware of today that weren't something we would know to look for when I was a kid are very helpful, and I'd like to at least have knowledge of any possibilities of issues to look for as he grows. I believe that if there is anything wrong with him, it would be minor and only take a few changes in how we teach him and how he learns as he grows. I believe that had the awareness existed when I was a child, I could have benefited greatly from an adjusted teaching style, so I'm all for charting his growth on multiple levels and adjusting to help him learn in the way that he understands best.

As for now, we will take it one step at a time and I will spend my time playing fun games with my baby boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment