Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Pudding and Picnics

Yesterday we went to Gary and Dotty's for dinner. Steaks on the grill and potato salad. Pretty darn good, but I was still hungry, so I sent Steve (and Gary, who went running out the door to catch up for a ride to the grocery store) to get me the ingredients for the pudding desert I always make for kids. Nice and easy... all you have to do is layer the cookies, pudding, and bananas. Well, Gary has decided this is his new "famous recipe he has been making for years". He plans on convincing Johnny of this. I truly love my father-in-law.

After dinner we went and picked up Mindy. She spent the evening holding and playing with Johnny while we worked on making her a resume and posting ads on craigslist to offer her services as a nanny. We've made it a family business! We're all going to watch kids! Christy is still watching Gabe and Eli, and once the fall hits I'll be back to work with Averey and Kelsey, as well as anyone else I find to take on. Can you tell we were raised in a home daycare?

Mindy had fun with Johnny though. We have been rather amazed with him lately because about two weeks ago he started repeating "hi" back to me, and a few days ago he started in with "hello" as well. Mindy tried for a while to get him to say something to her, but he seems to be partial to my father out of anyone. He will sit and "talk" with anyone, but he is picky about who he says certain things to. Johnny has already figured out how to work the system!!!

With the 4th of July coming up, we have made plans to go to GG's for a picnic, and then home when everyone else goes to the fireworks. I don't think I want Johnny that close to the crazy noise. I had a hard enough time sitting through Christy's graduation ceremony with the orchestra 50 feet away and playing loudly. I had my fingers in his ears for that, and when they finally paused for a break, Steve took him out of the main part of the Bryce Jordan Center. Fireworks just seem excessive at his age. Maybe when he is 4 or 5 we will go and watch them. For now, I'm good to wait.

GG is excited. Originally she was only going to get Johnny-time on Saturday. Well, a bunch of us cleaned and pack boxes at my mom's on Friday, and GG volunteered to spend the day there with Johnny. I don't know who will be more ecstatic with this arrangement, the grandmother or the grandchild. This should be a fun weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment