Thursday, March 26, 2009

Runaround


Monday night I received a phone call urgently pleading me to go immediately to the hospital, something strange came back in my most recent lab tests at the baby doc and I needed to be put under observation and tested further as soon as possible. Expect to stay overnight, everyone is very worried.

Stephen and I packed a bag, got a comfy pillow, and headed on in. When we arrived, we went right up to maternity as we had been instructed to do, and found the nurse's station. It just so happened the doctor who had ordered my quick arrival was there doing paperwork, having had a PA call me from their normal office. She took one look at me when Stephen announced my name and the situation and responded "who?"

She had no recollection of ordering any such thing, but admitted me anyway and called the PA for an update. Assuming they had figured everything out, the hospital nurse went ahead with all of the check-in procedures and the million questions to be put into their system. I was hooked up to a bunch of monitors and they did a few labs. The nurse told me the doctor would be in when the labs came back. Five hours later, the labs were in and the nurse returned to discharge me with instructions from the doctor that I was to sit by the phone anxiously awaiting news the next day. The doctor never saw me, they never explained to me what was going on or what they were looking for, and I never was given any lab results. I asked where the doctor was, and apparently she had gone home for the night. Both Stephen and I were LIVID.

The next day, sitting by the phone as per their instructions, (though I'd had my phone on me 24/7 for the last 2 months, always charged, always ready) I did not receive a call. Thanks guys. I called them.

No one at the doctor's office had any clue what was going on either, and proceeded to tell me to wait by the phone a while longer, maybe the nurses there could figure it out. Several hours later I got a phone call from the PA who had started the whole thing the night before, explaining that the doctor had totally forgot I existed, and meanwhile the labs were fine, but still didn't explain the original problem. What on this good earth was the original problem? "We found a very very high concentration of protein in your most recent lab, and therefore are now sending you to the Maternal Fetal Medicine specialists in Danville."

I have no option, they still think this is urgent, it could affect the baby, (which is the only reason I'm not refusing to go all together, if it was just another problem with my own health I wouldn't be going) and they want to take a look at Johnny too. Instructions-- wait by the phone for Danville to call, because you don't call Danville, Danville calls you.

Finally this morning I got the long-awaited phone call, only to hear that their scheduled date for me to make the 2 hour trek is April 6th. Can't be too urgent then, can it?

I have a headache.

No comments:

Post a Comment